The Blog describes the ice hockey game of life of John Diehl.

Thursday, September 09, 2004

The Babe

I tell you what boys and girls, John W. Diehl, MD can now die a happy man. Would you like to know why? Well I'm going to tell you anyway (why I otta). As some of you may know, I am somewhat of a baseball fan and, harkening back to my days of youth, continue with the leisure activity of baseball card collecting. It may seem a bit juvenile to some, and to that I say BACK OFF. Anyway, it had been some time, probably days, since I had bought some cards, and I had just had a long and strenuous day and I thought I would treat myself to 3 packs of cards. I open the first one, and what is in there but a Babe Ruth card which contains part of one of his Jersey's from the 1920's. On the back, the card says that there are only 25 of these ever printed. Man, I cannot express in words the excitement that surged through me as electricity does through a power cord. I mean the piece of jersey looks old, it feels old. It was part of the uniform of the one man who embodies the sport which I most enjoy. Who know's when he wore this jersey. It could have been in the 1932 world series when he called his shot at Wrigley field, it could have been on him when he got caught stealing second base to end the 1926 world series, it could have been the first yankee's jersey he donned after being sold in 1919. Or he could have worn it at practice once, and felt it didn't fit right (but I'm hoping for one of the others). It gives me chills just thinking about it, and has now assumed the top spot in my modest collection.
i was so excited in fact, that I went out and got a digital camera just so I could put it on the web for all my fans to see, however I can't get this Blog "hello" thing to work, but once it does, watch out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home